Practical tips on how to eat for sleep
There is such a plethora of information out there on what you should eat, what you shouldn’t eat. National standards for eating seem out dated yet other recommendations seem so extreme and restrictive. It’s all so confusing.
My recommendation is to eat as many wholefoods as you can and really focus on what makes you feel good. What foods make you feel energetic and ready for each day? Are there foods that make your sleep worse? Also, don’t compare what you are doing to anyone else. We are all individuals and need to make these decisions based on how we feel.
As you would have read earlier this week, being at an optimum weight will help you with the quality of sleep you get. This is turn will help you be more alert and ready to take on your daily activities.
Eating well for better sleep:
- Eat breakfast. It’s the best meal to get you set up for a great day. Regular meals are good for your sleep patterns but breakfast alerts our body that it is the start of the day.
- Eat mainly wholefoods. Reduce the amount of processed foods in your diet and choose nutrient dense foods. You body and mind will thank you for it.
- Eat mainly at home. This way you will know what you are eating and what ingredients are in your foods.
- Be aware of portion size. You don’t have to weigh and measure every meal, but be aware of recommended food portions and try to stick to them. Overeating healthy foods is just as easy to do as overeating unhealthy foods.
- Eat mindfully. Take time to think about why you’re actually eating. This can be a good way to avoid eating (or drinking) unnecessary calories. When you are eating, focus all of your senses on the food, so that you can truly enjoy what you are eating. Ever done the sultana challenge? Try it by following this link.
My final tip for eating well is don’t have foods that are off limits. Moderation is the key. Eat a varied diet, which nourish your body so you can thrive in your day-to-day living.
Need more information about how you can sleep better?
At Sleephub we understand the struggle people endure with sleeping problems which is why we have created a comprehensive FAQs page with information for those seeking information about sleep disorders and potential solutions.